Dental Cleanings & Checkups
Dental cleanings and checkups are important! If you get them twice a year (or on whatever schedule your dentist recommends), you’ll do more than keep your teeth white and bright. You’ll get rid of the plaque, tartar, and bacteria that lead to tooth decay and gum disease and stop such problems before they start. If a problem is beginning, we will catch it in the early stages, before it can cause pain and lead to expensive dental treatment that may not have been necessary. At Guzaitis Dental Group, our state-of-the-art methods ensure your teeth will be thoroughly evaluated and cleaned and any issues detected will be taken care of as soon as possible.
Why Routine Dental Cleanings and Checkups are Important
We all lead busy lives with many demands on our time and our wallets too. That makes it tempting to put off regular dental cleanings and checkups, especially if our teeth or gums don’t hurt and look normal. But regular professional teeth cleaning and dental checkups are an essential part of your health maintenance and care. It’s important to get them every six months or perhaps even more frequently if that’s what your dentist recommends. That’s how you prevent tooth and gums problems from developing or at least catch them early. It’s how you avoid pain, the expense of complex treatment, and dental problems that can ruin your appearance and even give rise to health problems in other parts of your body.
What Happens during Dental Cleanings and Checkups?
When our Elmhurst neighbors visit Guzaitis Dental Group, we provide the most thorough, professional, and modern family dentistry available. Our local general dentist here in Elmhurst, Dr. Elia, along with our hygienist Janine are a compassionate and empathetic team that truly listens to each patient’s needs. Our office specializes in individual care as well as family care.
- During your dental checkups, we’ll make sure no decay exists.
- We’ll also check for plaque and tartar. Plaque is a sticky layer of bacteria that over time can harden into tartar. Plaque and tartar can cause periodontal disease.
- We’ll check your gums as well using an instrument to measure the spaces between your teeth and gums. If your gums are healthy, those spaces will be shallow. Gum disease makes them deeper.
- Additionally, we’ll check your throat, neck, tongue, face, and head for redness, swelling, or any signs of cancer.
- If we find any problems, we’ll arrange treatment. Some problems may need to be addressed immediately by the dental cleaning.
- If you brush and floss regularly and your teeth don’t look discolored, you may wonder why professional teeth cleaning is necessary. But while brushing and flossing at home can eliminate plaque, they don’t always get all of it, and they can’t remove tartar. Tartar is simply too hard. Only professional teeth cleaning can get rid of tartar.
- In some cases routine cleanings are not sufficient and a patient may need scaling. This is a type of deep cleaning that reaches below the gum line to remove plaque.
Your Visit Will Include the Following Services
A Quick Summary of Dental Cleanings and Checkups
- Check for decay
- Check for plaque and tartar
- Check the health of your gums
- Inspect the throat, neck, tongue, face, & head
- Arranging further treatment if indicated
Tips on Home Dental Care
As vital as professional dental cleanings and dental checkups are, they’re only part of comprehensive, effective oral care. To avoid tooth and gum disease, make sure you do the following:
- Brush at least twice a day with a toothpaste containing fluoride
- Floss daily
- Use a mouthwash that fights the bacteria in plaque. As a bonus, this will keep your breath smelling fresh.
Dental Cleanings & Checkups
Services to the Chicagoland, Elmhurst, and Surrounding Areas.
We invite everyone in the Elmhurst area to call and schedule a dental cleaning and checkup with our Elmhurst family dentist on staff, Dr. Elia, especially if you know deep down it’s been too long since the last one.